Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Death

(note: originally when I tried to type the title of this post it was Dearth because of an obvious typo. For you word people out there who know that dearth is a word and you know its definition)

I like death. It's interesting. Probably because it's the one thing man can't control, and the ways they try sometimes just make me laugh. And laugh. And be mad.

Ray Bradbury said it best:
"...the dream of mankind has been to someday kill death..."
He says a lot of things best.

Anyway.

We are so afraid of dying. It's such a.... strange thing. The end of life. The end of our secure little place. People like to say that they believe they cease to exist after death, but to my way of thinking that's pretty stupid. I mean, what's the purpose of living if it's all going to just end one day? "Oh, you can make a difference in the world! Be green! Change somebody's life! Donate to charity!"

Really?

That's interesting, because all those people you changed and helped and made the world healthy for are just going to die someday too, leaving behind either no difference or another worthless difference that only benefits other people who are going to die leaving behind either no difference or another worthless difference that only benefits other people who are going to die leaving behind either no difference or another worthless difference that only benefits other people who are going to die leaving behind either no difference or another worthless difference that only benefits other people who are going to die leaving behind...

Can you tell I think about this a lot?

Yeah. Um, it's kind of important, unless you think the purpose of life is to just make yourself happy. It's a well known fact that just leaves you feeling empty, though I have yet to discover it for myself. Not sure I want to.

So what choices of belief does that leave us with? Not many. Just one I know of in fact.

I'll leave you to figure that out for yourself. =P

3 comments:

  1. *applauds*

    I also think of death quite often, being the depressing type of writer I am. ;) This is really good and it gave me a lot to think about as far as how people act and what they live for when they have NOTHING to live for. *nods* Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most depressing kind of writers share a similar viewpoint on death. Whoever said "Death is but the next great adventure" probably said it best. Life is fleeting, and we were put on the earth to steward God's creation; that's my reason.

    Is it healthy to want to die? And want to live in the next plane of existence? Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I really need to check your blog more often. >.> Bad me.

    I don't think as much about death as what people spend their lives trying to do. Which I guess amounts to the same thing. But in the end, you can try your whole life for something and it doesn't make a bit of difference. Which, although it's tragic, is an interesting thing to play with as a writer.

    Anyhow, thanks for posting. :) Interesting thing over which to mull.

    ReplyDelete